Sunday, March 31, 2013

Rachel's Bread

When it comes to bread I tend to be a snob, many people think it is just a vehicle for a sandwich, but I tend to think that bread can be the star, and if you find a loaf that is good enough, you can eat it by itself and have a culinary experience, and that is exactly what you will get at Rachel's Bread in the farmer's market on The Millrace in Goshen. After work the other morning, several of us nurses decided to have breakfast together, Rachel's was the spot we chose and the moment we walked in and took a sniff, we knew it was going to be good! I was overwhelmed by the number of delicious pastries and other breakfast choices being offered and struggled for several minutes before I landed on the decision of an almond croissant with a cup of fruit. Some of the other competitors were danish, chocolate cream rolls, and baked oatmeal with dried cherries, plus they have frittata that my colleagues said were delicious. My almond croissant was sublime, it was flaky, light, and buttery and surprised me with a center full of creamy, chunky almond filling; The croissant was so good, in fact, that I decided to take the chocolate variety home, and my oh my, was this ever a delicious croissant, semisweet chocolate surrounded by the flaky layers of pastry, it can't be beat!
Because so many of the pastries looked so delicious and my decision was so hard, I brought my hubby home a pecan cinnamon roll because I know he has a great love for them, and I had secret hopes that I would get a taste, too.  It took him a day to eat it so he was pleasantly surprised to find that it was still soft, the pecans and top of the roll were perfectly caramelized, and the entire roll was spectacular.
I also brought home a wood fired baguette, now I have had good bread in my life, but this loaf is tops and may have ruined me for any other baguette. The outside was crusty and had this slightly smokey taste from the wood firing and the inside was perfectly chewy; The whole loaf had this slightly salty taste and was just perfect. Honestly though, I cannot capture this loaf of bread in any sort of words, and if you are anywhere near the bread lover I am, you need to make it a point to head to Rachel's and buy a baguette. The bread, rolls, and pastries at Rachel's Bread are the best you will find anywhere, because they are made with simple, real ingredients, are allowed to rise naturally and are free of preservatives. So whether you are looking for something new for Saturday morning breakfast, want to spice up your lunch hour, or just crave some good bread, stop in to Rachel's, from one bread lover to another, you won't be sorry you did!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE Rachel's Bread! Had to stop into the Farmer's Market on the Saturday I was home and pick up some day old bread to bring home! Love their whole wheat bread for grilled cheese. And of course had to make my way to Shipshewana to pick up my cheese!!

    ReplyDelete