Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Wood & Gage

When you venture off the beaten path you can often be rewarded with unexpected surprises, this holds true with restaurants as well, and was proven at lunch today when a dear friend took me to a little cafe and antique shoppe tucked in the neighborhood behind Rice Cemetery, at the corner of Wood Street and Gage Avenue, appropriately called The Wood and Gage. The first thing you will think when you walk in the door is "this is so cute!" The walls are covered in assorted signs and pictures, with shelves containing antiques and gifts, the tables are charmingly mismatched, and most importantly (at least my toddler thought so) there is an old pedestal bathtub used as a fish tank. The menu is simple, mostly salads and sandwiches, but perfect for a lunch time spot. I struggled to decide between an Asian chicken salad and a tenderloin, but finally decided on the salad, and what a good decision that was! A bed of lettuce and greens, topped with shredded cabbage, carrots, almonds, chicken, fresh fried wonton strips, served along with a delicious creamy Asian dressing, and if you think a salad can't constitute an entire lunch, well, about 3/4 of the way through my salad I had to quit eating because it was so large and I was getting full.
I ordered fresh cut, skin on french fries for my little man and they were a huge hit! Great crisp, thick and hearty, very flavorful with the skin still on. A very unique and delicious fry that I am anxious for my potato loving hubby to try!
My dear friend who introduced me to this sweet little place ordered a dish called "creamed chicken in a potato basket" which I was expecting to be a baked potato with chicken on it, and I was wrong. They take shredded potatoes and make a bowl with them and crisp them up, then serve it smothered in a creamy chicken mixture, it is a very unique dish, which my friend says is delicious. It's another dish I am anxious for my hubby to try!
With it's tea room like atmosphere, adorable hand made gifts, and extensive antiques and collectibles The Wood and Gage is a great place for a ladies breakfast, brunch, or lunch, but any man will appreciate the delicious food, too!


1 comment:

  1. I keep wanting to try this restaurant since it is practically in my neighborhood but never remember it at meal time. Thanks for the reminder and good review! Now I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete