Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Stirred Restaurant & Lounge

Stirred downtown Elkhart is easy to miss, it is off of Main on Lexington and the sign is this really cool silver piece that can be hard to see, but trust me, you will be glad you took the time to search it out. The inside could only be described as eclectic, there are many features of the original building, like a fantastic old brick wall and pressed tin ceiling, that are contrasted with updates like an electric fireplace and deep red walls, not to mention a fabulous old door!
 Their menu is designed to share, so we started with a couple of appetizers; the "Spankin' Shrimp" and the fried pickles. The "Spankin' Shrimp" is similar to a certain seafood chain's "Bang Bang Shrimp," but I think I prefer Stirred's "Spankin' Shrimp" as it is more like (HUGE) prawns than popcorn shrimp and the "Spankin' Shrimp" is tempura battered versus breaded, which I love. The sauce on the "Spankin' Shrimp" has a kick to it, but even a wimp like me could handle it and found this dish to be delicious! Plus, the black sesame seeds were a fun garnish!
 My husband is not normally a fan of fried pickles chips, he prefers the spears, but he actually really liked this battered version; they were served with a spicy dipping sauce, that truthfully wasn't terribly spicy. I have eaten a lot of fried pickles (I know, I really shouldn't admit to that) and these are top of the list with a thick coating of batter and the spicy dipping sauce.
The menu had several main dishes and sandwiches, but since Tuesday's are buy one, get one half off (bogoho as I like to call it) sushi rolls, we decided to try a couple, which are unlike ANY sushi you have ever tried. The rolls as Stirred are very unconventional, with rolls like "The Cowboy" that has steak strips and bleu cheese, "The Fish Taco" with tempura crab, pineapple salsa, and corn chips, and "The Fire & Ice" filled with salmon, jalapenos, and cream cheese, they have definitely created a unique offering of sushi. I ordered Stirred's signature roll that has gulf shrimp, mango, cilantro, avocado, and red pepper, on soy paper with a delicious  sticky, sweet sauce and I have to say this might just be one of my favorite sushi rolls, I loved the way all of the flavors played together, and especially loved the sweet sauce this roll was served with.
I think my hubby purposefully ordered a roll he knew I wouldn't eat, since it was topped with hot sauce...stinker! His "Rajun Cajun" included cajun seasoned shrimp, crab, red pepper, and green onions, and this man who doesn't eat onions, still liked this roll. My hubby's only complaint is that the menu really didn't include any traditional sushi rolls, but for you purists there is a good selection of sashimi, maki, and nigiri.
Stirred also has an ample offering of wines and cocktails, for those of you who like to relax after a long week with a martini and sushi, this little joint in downtown Elkhart is the perfect spot for you! And for those of you who don't drink, you will still feel pretty fancy with a slice of cucumber in your ice water and a delicious roll of sushi in your chopsticks!


Stirred on Urbanspoon



No comments:

Post a Comment