Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pumpernickel's Pretzel Bakery

As a general rule I don't visit restaurants in the first few weeks that they are open, I don't always feel like these young days will give an accurate representation of what the restaurant will be, but in the case of Pumpernickel's Pretzel Bakery I was too excited to try their pretzels to wait! On the ground level of the old Elkhart Hotel, where the Athenian Ballroom is located, the owner of DA Pumpernickel's catering has expanded his operation, and now makes delicious pretzels as well as sandwiches on pretzel rolls, with lots of accompaniments like chilli and cookies. I decided to keep it simple, so I ordered my little man a traditional pretzel with cheese, he mowed down on his pretzel and ignored the cheese, but I will attest that this was a delicious pretzel! They have the deep, rich brown crust on them that I have only ever seen in Germany and are scrumptious and chewy on the inside.
I ordered a cinnamon pretzel for myself, and while there was a bit of wait for it, it was well worth the time! Now this wasn't just a regular pretzel with cinnamon and sugar on it, this was actually a pretzel with cinnamon in the dough, and tasted just like biting into cinnamon raisin bread, sans raisins. Pair this delicious, sweet pretzel with the slight tang of cream cheese frosting, and you have a match made in bakery heaven!
Pumpernickel's also offers jalapeno and whole wheat pretzels along with a big variety of dipping sauces, like marinara, spicy cheese, raspberry mustard, salted caramel, whole grain mustard, and chocolate. Not only were the pretzel's at Pumpernickel's sublime, but the staff was so accommodating and friendly, when the little man spilled his cheese on the floor they were quick to help me clean up and even offered us more cheese, he was even given a free cookie! And trust me when I say you have never had a cookie like this; a warm chocolate chip cookie with an ooey, gooey chocolate center...yum!! Pumpernickel's has limited hours right now, Monday through Friday over the lunch hour, but also plans to be open for special events like the Jazz Festival, so if you happen to work in downtown Elkhart or are just in the area make sure to stop in for a tasty sandwich on a delicious pretzel roll or even just an afternoon treat, 'cuz Auntie Anne and Ben ain't got nothin' on Pumpernickels!!


No comments:

Post a Comment