Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ricky's Taqueria

I often ask why places like Hacienda and Taco Bell are so popular when this area has great, authentic Mexican restaurants like Ricky's Taqueria. Ricky's is a small building in Elkhart located on Prairie Street (County Road 9), between Hively Avenue and Mishawaka Road, and is just close enough to my house to get me into trouble! They only have about three tables and a handful of counter seats inside, but for this warm weather, they have ample outdoor seating. Our lunch started with a basket of chips and some not too spicy, definitely not bland, delicious salsa. My hubby had the huge, jam packed torta with pastor (pork) for $4.99 sans onions, and while it was hard to eat, he reports that it was good, and since I tried his pastor, I have to agree, it was good! At $1.50 each, I ordered three tacos, one with asada (steak), one with chorizo (sausage), and one with barbacoa (shredded beef); the asada and chorizo tasted fantastic, and while the barbacoa had a great flavor, it was too spicy for my taste. I was disappointed to find they were out of pork tamales, but I guess that just gives me an excuse to go back so I can try them. We washed our lunch down with a couple of bottles of international coke, which blows the American stuff out of the water, and agreed we had found our new Mexican restaurant (we love Los Primo's in Goshen, but it just isn't as close). So next time you are craving a taco, pass by taco bell, and drive straight to Ricky's Taqueria, you won't be sorry! Oh, did I mention they were voted best burrito in the area?



 Ricky's Taqueria on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hi ,

    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/288/1243235/restaurant/South-Bend/Rickys-Taqueria-Elkhart

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/288/9523/South-Bend/The-Albert-Assessment.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete