Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cook's Pizza

My husband and I are pretty much perfect for each other, with the exception of pizza, he likes veggies, I like meat, he likes Papa John's, I think it is too plain, I like Bruno's, he thinks it's too salty. The only thing we can usually agree on is thin crust, until last Saturday night when we found Cook's Pizza on the corner of Elkhart and East Waterford in Wakarusa.
 Cook's Pizza is pretty much the portrait of a dive, it is just a little hole in the wall, but has been around for decades, and there is a reason for that. We started our meal with an order of fried mushrooms, which were pretty standard, but still good. As we noshed on our appetizer I said to Michael "this might just be our chance to find a pizza place that we both like," to which a passing waitress told us "this is my favorite pizza, and I'm not just saying that because I work here." We each ordered separate pizzas so that we could choose our own toppings, plus, who doesn't love left over pizza?!? I will say though, if my hubby had known he could order anything he wanted to on the stromboli he would have tried that, but he didn't know until after we finished eating (the sign and menu were a bit misleading).
As we waited for our pizza it became clear to us that we needed cash to pay, I share this so that you don't have to send a family member out in the cold to hunt down an ATM like I did. My hubby came back to our piping hot pizzas, which we knew were handmade by the uneven look of our pizza crusts. For me a good pizza starts with a good foundation, if the crust isn't good it kind of ruins the pizza for me, but Cook's has an awesome foundation; delicious, crispy crust! Next key to a good pizza is good sauce, if the pizza sauce sucks, it really kills the whole experience for me, but Cook's has a really good, yet subtle sauce. I like my pizza to be chock full of toppings, but my hubby is more interested in a thick, gooey layer of cheese; well Cook's delivered both. The only complaint at our table was that the pizza was a little greasy, but when you pile that much cheese on a pizza, it's bound to happen.
So my husband and I made history (well at least in our relationship) and finally completely agreed on a pizza place, the only problem is that it is a 25 minute drive, but hey, that might just be worth it.


4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! My cousins own it. Pizza crust is always homemade. Burgers are really good too and soup is homemade! Jimtown Pizza is same owner. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the best pizza EVER! I worked there for 8 years through high school and college, and I STILL can't wait to go home and order Cook's! Nothing compares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a pizza lover. So when I love pizza, you know that it has to be Great! I love two pizza places. One is Brick Oven Pizza, in the town of Kalaheo, Kauai, Hawaii. The other place is Cook's Pizza in Wakarusa. And that's it! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pizza at Cook's .....what can be closer to heaven? It has been such a part of Wakarusa. Babies grow up there and even wedding parties have been known to include it on the wedding day!!!

    ReplyDelete